Story Spark is a creativity tool to generate ideas for plot, character, and setting.
With a simple tap on the screen, get a fresh new spark of inspiration instantly!
Great for the reluctant writer, young and old. Are you worried about what people may say or think about your original story idea? Story Spark can help. Express your creativity by expanding on the Story Spark prompt. Build your creative writing skills by elaborating and embellishing on the trillions of prompts contained in Story Spark.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
✔ 25+ Scenarios, with unlimited word combinations
✔ 37 Beautiful background images
✔ Navigate back through your history of prompts
✔ Mark prompts as favorites
✔ Regular content updates
✔ Universal App
✔ High-resolution graphics supporting Retina Display
✔ Apple VoiceOver support for low-vision users
Recommended ages: 10 and up
Activity Ideas and Education Applications:
1. Creative Writing. Read the prompt silently, then construct a short story or poem.
2. Storytelling. Read the prompt silently, then create a story.
3. Drama Class. Divide students into pairs, then give each pair a prompt. Have each group act out the scene, then read the given prompt to the class.
4. Critical Thinking. Read the prompt, then answer the five W questions (Who? What? Why? When? How?)
5. Geography Challenge. Read a prompt with a location and find it on a map.
6. Word Swap. Do any of the previous activities but allow students to change one word in the prompt to one of their own choosing.
7. Sketch the Scene. Read a Story Spark, then draw a sketch of the scene.
Updated: 19 Dec, 2012
Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Requires iOS 4.1 or later.
When did you decide to develop this app?
We’ve been thinking about an app like this for about 6 months, but started actual development in late October.
When did you first release this app?
Story Spark was released on December 19th.
How long did it take you to develop this app?
About a week for the actual programming, and about a solid week of content writing testing.
What is your favourite feature?
My favorite thing is actually the Favorites feature, where you can tag your favorite sparks with the star. When I see a spark that I really like, I always favorite it.
What is your favourite page in the app?
All of them! They are all different! Some hint at a serious story, but others are absolutely hilarious!
What skills were you hoping to help the end user to develop?
Story Spark ignites the imagination! The sparks inspire reasoning skills, critical thinking, and plot construction.
What age range would this app most suit?
Middle schoolers are really in the sweet spot for this app, but upper elementary, high school, college, and adult writers will all enjoy it.
Are any new updates coming soon?
We plan to have updates once or twice each month. Maybe more, maybe less. New prompt structures will be added along with more colorful lists of words to change them up.
If you like Story Spark, you will probably like our other writing/literacy apps: Story Dice, Spooky Story Dice, Name Dice, and Lists for Writers.
We have a Rafflecopter giveaway until December 30, 2012