Hog and Frog
Appy Chat & Giveaway
Developer: Stories and Children
Why did you decide to develop this app?
“Hog and Frog” was developed because I absolutely love creating children’s stories which entice and capture children’s imagination and have them reading just because they find it irresistible!
As a mum of two energetic-full-of-beans boys (aged 5 & 7 yrs), I believe one of the greatest things parents can do is to foster a love of reading in children. For when children learn to read, they have a world of learning open to them through so many sources!
As an early childhood teacher of over 20 years, I’ve created our story apps to help children learn to read in a fun and enjoyable way.
So the short answer is … because I’m passionate about giving children quality stories and supporting them as they learn to read.
When did you first release this app?
“Hog and Frog” was recently released in December, 2012. The feedback we’ve had from parents, teachers and professionals working with children has been amazing!
How long did it take you to develop this app?
While the story was written a couple of years ago, the app itself took a few months to create.
It took much longer to create the illustrations which were originally drawn by hand on computer via a drawing tablet … as opposed to the simplicity of pencil and paper.
What is your favourite feature?
Actually, there I have more than one favourite. I love music and sound effects with “Hog and Frog”. They were so much fun to create. The sound helps the story come to life.
Also, the screen environment makes the colours in the illustrations so vibrant that you want to reach out and touch the characters.
One more thing – I love the interactive activities which allow children to revisit vocabulary and concepts presented in the story while having fun.
What is your favourite page in the app?
My favourite page is has to be when Hog discovers the BIG problem! I’d love to tell you what the problem is but that would give away the surprise.
This was a fun page to create using a close up of Hog’s over-sized shocked face, large text and sound effects.
What skills were you hoping to help the end user to develop?
“Hog and Frog” aims to help children grow in their confidence and ability to read. To do this, we have used:
- Rhyme: helps children to recognise word families (e.g., hog, frog, log, bog) & gives them confidence to join in the reading process.
- Rhythm: allows children recognise patterns in words and sentences. Makes words flow and reading a pleasure.
- Repetition: provides children multiple opportunities to recognise, revisit and master written words. Repetition offers the security of predictability which is important when developing reading confidence.
- Humour: engages children in the text. Actually, humour engages adults as well as children. Maybe that’s why I still love reading stories with my children!
- Vibrant illustrations: helps explain and expand the text through the characters expressions and actions.
- Sound recordings: including music, sound effects and the option of “Read to Me” or “I’ll Read”.
- Interactive activities: allow the children to revisit language or concepts within the story.
- GUIDE NOTES for parents and educators: provides a wealth of information and suggestions for activities and experiences to extend children’s learning based on concepts introduced in the story. The activities cover a wide range of curriculum – language, art, maths, science, moral/emotional/social development as well as physical development.
What age range would this app most suit?
3 to 8 years of age.
Are any new updates coming soon?
We are about to release another new children’s book app, “It’s a Bad Day to be a Fly!” at www.StoriesAndChildren.com.
This is a humorous story about Mr Sty with an apple pie and an annoying, pesky trainee fly. Trainee fly? It’s true! Flies have to learn many things if they are to eat tasty pies!
You can’t have too many readers for children to learn through. We’re doing our best to ensure children have a wide variety of stories to learn through while having fun … and parents will still have money in their pockets!
Updated: 14 December, 2012
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/StoriesAndChildren
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/homeschoolgems?feature=watch
App: Hog and Frog
We have a Rafflecopter giveaway until February 19, 2013