Picture Can Talk
Review, Appy Chat & Giveaway
Developer: App Consult Pte. Ltd
When did you decide to develop this app?
My son was using PECS book. And i thought an iPhone/iPad app would be a natural transition. There wasn’t an app at that time that incorporate PECS and AAC concepts with sound and ability to add own pictures. That’s when i decided to build such a hybrid app.
When did you first release this app?
Initial release was May 12, 2011
How long did it take you to develop this app?
It took me about one month
What is your favourite feature?
There are many. But if i have to choose, it will be backup and restore via email. Yo could zip up a copy of you entire setup and restore onto another device.
What is your favourite page in the app?
3 Pictures. Ease of selecting pictures and constructing sentences make it practical for users.
What skills were you hoping to help the end user to develop?
Visual aid communication and motor skills. The app allows customization on gestures to cater for gross motor skills
What age range would this app most suit?
Anyone who requires picture communication
Are any new updates coming soon?
Has always been applying updates once ideas are conceived. I am open for ideas and feedback.
PictureCanTalk helps individuals face with speech challenges to communicate their needs with the use of pictures. You could use it as a PECS or AAC tool.
**Close to 2000 free picture symbols**
Every picture allow
- Recording of personalized voice
- Text To Speech. Synthesized voice supports English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Spanish, Swedish, French, Italian, German and Chinese Simplified. No internet connection is required.
- Play back voice by tapping picture or “one tap speak all”
- For starter, “I want” board require just a tap on the picture to show on the comm. strip. He/She can progressively move to “3 Pictures”, “Sentence Prompt” and free-form mode
- Email communication strip pictures
- Locate me
Sentence building and prompting
- Build preset picture sentences
- “Sentence Prompt” strip to prompt and teach sentence construction
- ‘Fill in the blanks’ feature
Multiple page sets/templates/boards
- Customize your own types of board e.g. Categorized, Theme or Topic Based, T.A.L.K., Core Vocabulary, etc.
- Use ‘swipe gesture’ on scrollable strip or ‘button tap’ on template index to navigate the templates
- Sort images by drag and drop
- Export template to PDF file for printing and email
Your own picture catalog (i.e. MyCatalog)
- Build up from photo library
- Category management
- Bulk upload images via zipped file. The file name of the zipped file will be used as category title. One level of directory is allowed in the zip
- Bulk upload via email
Image editing capabilities
- Crop, Resize, Flip and Rotate
- Several built-in symbol sizes
- Define own crop size
Text to image
- Type in text and save as pictures
- Choose font, size and color
- Create “sight” or any words
Games feature that is beneficial cognitively
- Comes with color, shapes, numbers and alphabets
- Customize any number of identification and matching games and exercises
- Personalized voices for praises and encouragements
Backup/Restore feature to share your images and configurations with multiple devices and users
- Select a backup version to restore
- Reset to original settings
- Backup/Restore via email. Do it all within your device!
- Male/female, voice speed and pitch for TTS
- Mulitple symbol sizes and text
- Colorful background selection simulating PECS book
- Free-form comm. strip to drop any no. of pictures
- Sound and wriggling effect
- Default email addresses
- Show or hide “email”, “customize”, “location”, “list icon”, “backspace” button and TabBar. Hiding them will prevent user accidentally moving to other screens
- Communication strip on top or bottom of the boards
- Disable edits to prevent accidental updates
- Passcode protect “Options”
- Drag-n-drop or tap gesture, up/down or left/right swipe gesture for the communication boards.
- Playback voice immediately when picture is placed on communication strip
- Clear images on communication strip when ‘Play All’ voice playback is completed
- Connection Service between PictureCanTalk and your computer
- Popup explanatory notes
- Dropbox integration
- Search catalog
- Built-in browser to surf, search and download images from Internet directly into MyCatalog
- Student list (i.e. multi-user)
- Color coding system lets you use colored frames to represent agent, action, object, etc. The possibilities are unlimited!
- Possibly the only App in similar category to offer these unique features!
Updated: 06 November 2012
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
In App Purchase:
Pictures Can Talk is an AAC app based on the PECs program that can be used either way. If you currently use this system, this makes it so much easier on the iPad as you don’t have to worry about loosing the pieces – everything is here on the iPad in one place, easy to search and find the pictures and with the help of watching the suite of You Tube videos outlining the way to use the app – you will be using in a very short period of time.
The choices along the bottom are: I want, 3 pictures, Game Set, App Catalog (in built Catalog of images), My Catalog (your own images), InApp (mentioned above) and Options (pictures above)
This is very quick easy to set up. To add an image, select customise in the top right hand corner and there is so many images to choose from the many many categories already built in – 80 different categories to choose from. If you can’t find the image that you need, you can use an image in your own photo library, crop the image, flip and image, change the font color and size and even record your own voice.
You have a choice of 3 Pictures, Free form and Sentence prompt. Again very easy to set up. I used it to teach my child to count up to 5.
You can have a choice of 2 games Touch or Match. You can use this to introduce new images for your child to learn, so many things have been thought about.
Website: Pictures Can Talk
Facebook Page: Picture Can Talk
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/PICTURECANTALK
We have a Rafflecopter giveaway until March 12, 2013